The Openpilot Community needs your help to continue to keep opc.ai's lights on and support the path to Workbench v0.2. With only a one person crew and without commercial funding it's not always financially feasible to fund these services out of pocket. Please consider becoming a Patreon supporter of the Openpilot Community project and receive exclusive perks and benefits!
Become a patreon Learn more Maybe Later
Aligning your EON
What you need
- Measuring tape
- Masking tape
- A friend to help
- Find a place at the bottom of the windshiled along the driver side pilar that has a similar position on the passenger side (I used the place where the corner of the front hood meets the fender).
- With the tape starting from that point, mark 3 places along the side of the windshiled. Use the endge of the masking tape to mark them. I personally used 3" from the bottom, the top of the windshield and then about 1/3 from the bottom, 2/3 from the top. It does not matter what the measuring tape says, as long as it says the SAME distance on both sides.
- Repeat the process on the other side of the windshiled, ensuring you mark the same spots.
- measure the distance between one edge of the windshield and the other end, keeping the tape at each pair of marked points from before. use masking tape to mark the middle of the windshield. again, use the EDGE of the tape, not the center.
- Now use a long piece of masking tape to mark the center of the windshield from top to bottom. This (if you did everything correctly) will cover all 3 of your markers from before and provide a straight line. One edge of the masking tape is now the perfect middle of the windshild. Your mount will have to be aligned with that for a perfect position.
- Take a small piece of tape and mark the middle of the GoPro mount. use a slighly longer piece that the go-pro (maybe 1/4-1/2" more on each side) and ensure it is straight and down the middle of the GoPro. If, when looking from inside of the car, your take is to the RIGHT of the center, then put the tape on the LEFT side of the GoPro. Reverse if the other way.
- Using your EON without the mounting braket, determine the location along the center of the windshield where you want it placed.make sure the grove on the support is alongside the center of the windshield. use a small piece of maksing tape to mark the upper part of the position where you want your EON to be.
- Remove the RED protective tape from the back of the 3M adhesive and be ready to place the GoPro on the windshiled. Align the masking tape we placed on the GoPro mount on the inside with the masking tape we have on the outside of the windshield. They shoud not overlap at all AND you should not see light either. when you are confident on the position press hard on the mount.
- Remove all masking tape. You are done. You now have a perfectly centerd, perfectly vertical EON.